CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I think Murphy likes me

You've heard of Murphy's Law... if it can go wrong, it will. Well, I feel like I'm only proving it right!

Yesterday, I almost let the fire go out in the fireplace insert... then it started to get really cold! I got the fire going really good again, and then tried to put in a piece of wood that was probably just too big. I tried to close the door, and it rolled. I had put it in at an angle to get it to fit. I closed the door on it, and broke the glass in the fireplace door!

Ugh! Why did I do that? I immediately started to panic. I made the mistake of calling Mike, and I just hung up when he asked me what I did.

I called my mom. I needed help! It took her longer to get across town than it did for me to get all the wood out of the fireplace and outside. I hosed it all off to make sure it was out! I don't need any more fires in the back yard!

All is ok. We're fine. The glass is still in the door, but it's all broken up.

My friend's hubby, who is a glass man, came over last night to check it out. The silly man didn't know my kids go to bed at 8, and he was ringing the doorbell like a crazy fool at 8:35. LOL! Anyhow, he told me about how much the piece of glass will cost.

I have started taking Dave Ramsey financial classes at our church, and I've mapped out a plan to get our emergency fund into place. Thank goodness I've managed to save the last 2 weeks of babysitting money or we would really have nothing to pay for replacing the glass! Of course it puts me back behind again on saving, but I still have a plan for saving! :)

All in all, I'm very thankful that the glass didn't shatter all over the room. It could have been a real disaster! I'm also thankful that we have central heat so that we won't freeze to death while we wait for 2 days for the piece of glass to be ordered.

It could be so much worse.

Thinking about all of this, I realized that we've been through a time that was much worse. Delaney was a little baby, and we ran out of propane. We lived in a trailer house in the middle of nowhere, and it was the coldest night ever. Thank goodness we had a small electric heater that we used in the bathroom! We put that little heater in our bedroom, and Delaney slept with us that night. We didn't freeze. We made it through just fine. And I think I probably wrote a hot check to buy propane the next day. Bad decision? Probably, but we didn't freeze. (As a side note... It's times like that night that I think of when my mother-in-law likes to say, "You kids don't know what hard times are." That only makes my blood boil. No wonder I like to stay home.)

I'm very thankful that we're still staying warm, in spite of not being able to keep a fire in the fireplace insert. We still have heat. We will have the door fixed soon so that we can have a fire again, and all will be fine.

0 comments: