CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Almost $240 (and more to come!) and 2 doctor visits later

I found out today that Jenna has folliculitis. That's what the "rash" is all over her bottom. Poor baby has suffered with it for weeks! It would look like it was drying up, then come back again with a vengeance. She would tell me not to touch her "boo boo" because it hurt. The bumps would get stiff and even look bright red, purple, or be filled with pus! It was nasty!

Last week we were in the doctor's office for a fever & sore throat (I thought it was her ears)... and I showed it to the dr then, but it looked dried up... so we thought it was fine.

This morning, it looked really bad. So I called the doctor. The doctor we usually see was not in today, so we saw a different one & I liked him a lot. I may ask for him next time!

Anyhow... he said it is folliculitis, which I guess it infected hair follicles if I understand correctly. He prescribed a strong oral antibiotic, plus an antibiotic cream that we're ALL supposed to swab inside our nostrils because that's how it spreads!

Since we don't have any type of health insurance, the dr visit was $85 (last week's dr visit w/a strep test was $115)... the oral antibiotic was $35... and we have not filled the prescription for the cream yet b/c it's $99!! The pharmacist is going to call the dr tomorrow to see if we can get ointment instead of cream b/c it is HALF the price. Then we'll get that, too... so the cost of all of this will be nearly $300 when it's all said and done! Insanity, I tell ya!! (Ugh! It's no darn wonder we're so broke!) Maybe that's the kick in the rear I needed to apply for ARKids First... I guess I'll give it a try.

After reading about folliculitis online, I really wonder if she got it so easily because she tends to break out with eczema. The doctor said that someone in our house is probably a "carrier" for it. Delaney had a spot on her leg several weeks ago that started it all, so I have to wonder where this all started. Mike drags in all kinds of stuff on his clothes and boots since he's out hauling livestock... so there is no telling where it really started.

So... that's what we've been dealing with all this time. I'm glad we finally have an answer as to what it is, and I will be so glad when my poor baby is finally over this!

0 comments: