CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 10, 2008

Yesterday was interesting

Yesterday we went to church with my mother-in-law. I had never been to her church, so it was interesting to see how different it is than what I'm used to. I am a member and regularly attend a Pentecostal church, and hers is a Church of Christ. There is a lot of difference, and it was interesting to see what different people refer to as worship. It all seemed very methodical to me. Carefully planned-out. I'm used to a place where the Spirit is allowed to lead. It was just different.

After church, we went over to my husband's grandparents' house for dinner. When we got there, Mike's mom told him that she went on a date the night before. He did not take the news well at all. In fact, he practically flipped out.

Mike and I have talked about the possibility of her seeing someone else, but I don't think it prepared him at all to hear those words from his mom. I was glad though that he and I had talked about it because I felt like I was able to tell her about those conversations while Mike went outside to cool off.

He says it is not the fact that she wants a companion, but rather who the person was that she went out with. Honestly, I don't know that anyone will ever be "good enough" for his mom in his eyes. She made it very clear that she has no intention of trying to replace his dad--that nobody could ever fill those shoes.

His dad has been gone three years this month. And yesterday was his birthday--he would have been 57 (and MIL actually said that today was probably not the best day to have told dh about her date, but that she did not want him to hear it from someone else). But instead of celebrating an earthly birthday, he now celebrates every day with Jesus! I think sometimes it's hard to rejoice in that fact because we miss a person so much.

I was surprised at how much emotion the news brought out in myself. I am blessed to still have both of my parents living, but it made me think about how I would feel.

I can understand not wanting to be alone, needing a companion and a helper. I pray that my mother-in-law will find someone who makes her very happy and takes good care of her. I think she deserves it. She has been through more than one person should have to go through.

0 comments: